REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Loan # 4780-UA
Contract № EAQE CQ-3.2 - #78
CONSULTING SERVICES (FIRMS)
EDUCATION MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM (EMIS) FEASIBILITY STUDY, DEVELOPMENT OF SPECIFICATIONS, BIDDING DOCUMENTS
Expressions of Interest
This request for expressions of interest follows the general procurement notice for the “Equal Access to Quality Education” Project (Project) that appeared in Development Business No. 654 of 16 May 2005.
The Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine (MES) has received a loan in the amount of US$ 86,587,000 equivalent from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), and intends to apply part of the proceeds of this loan to payments under the contract for education management information system (EMIS) feasibility study, development of specifications, bidding documents.
The MES has created the Education Development Programs Directorate (Directorate) as a legal entity subordinate to MES. The Directorate will bear the workload of Project implementation.
The substance of expected services:
MES is willing to launch a process of consolidation and modernization of existing organizational arrangements and running automation systems with the purpose of gradual transition to a unified national education management information system (EMIS).
To this end, MES will make use of the available management, administrative, and financial resources within the MES System and under the Project to commence the first phase of implementation of the national EMIS to upgrade the current automation system(s) for data collection and processing at the level of general secondary education.
At this phase, EMIS will fully absorb the existing functionality of the current MES automation system(s) dealing with data on the general secondary education, and extend it, while retaining the coverage, in the context of general requirements to be elaborated during re-assessment of the MES information and tools needs in the light of the informed policy- and decision-making approach and ongoing IT-infrastructure modernization.
The developed EMIS technical requirements (TR) will be incorporated into the bidding documents (EMIS BD) for the international competitive bidding (EMIS ICB) for design, development, testing and turnkey deployment of the first phase of EMIS that will ensue later on under a separate contract.
The objective of the Consultant’s is to provide comprehensive consultancy, assistance and support to EMIS MES in effective accomplishment of the following stages aimed at initiating the EMIS development project:
1. Elicitation and consolidation of relevant goals, data needs, functional and non-functional requirements for the possible integrated EMIS to meet, as expressed by the stakeholders represented in the EMIS TG’s membership, with a starting requirements document developed ('to-be').
2. Systems analysis of the current MES practice of and automation tools for dealing with national education management and statistical data, with general functional model and general data model documents developed ('as-is').
3. Analysis of options to improve on the general data model (based on the starting requirements) and development of the refined general data model document ('to-be').
4. Analysis of options to improve on the general functional model (based on the starting requirements) and development of the refined functional requirements document ('to-be').
5. Analysis of options to improve on the non-functional require¬ments (based on the starting requirements) and development of the refined non-functional requirements document ('to-be').
6. Integration of the documents approved earlier on into a final consistent presentation of goals, refined general data model, refined functional and non-functional requirements to be presented as EMIS TR ('to-be').
7. Assistance to the Purchaser in development of extra justifications and / or amendments to the EMIS TR to support the Purchaser in obtaining approval for EMIS BD (incorporating the EMIS TR) from the World Bank.
Provision period for services: 2008.
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank's Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers, May 2004.
Interested consultants eligible to submit their bids according to the IBRD requirements are invited to express their interest in providing the above services.
Interested consultants should submit to Directorate information in printed or electronic form attesting to their sufficient qualification to provide the above services (general qualification, responsiveness to this project, qualification and competence of the key staff, work experience in the region and command of its language, etc.). Consultants may associate to enhance their qualifications.
Qualification requirements to bidders:
General Qualification Requirements to the Consultant:
1. experience in organization and successful provision of similar services on formal systems / business analysis, as well as development of technical requirements for automation systems, no less than 5 years.
2. experience in organization and successful provision of similar services on design of nationwide network automation systems and development of technical specifications for such automation systems, no less than 5 years.
Responsiveness to this Project:
3. confirmed competence and ability to provide services of a similar nature adhering to all effective mandatory national requirements / standards.
Qualification and Competence of the Key Staff:
4. confirmed competence and qualification of personnel as well as experience of implementation of similar tasks by the staff to be engaged in the process of provision of services (professional qualification certificates, implemented projects copyright certificates, references, etc.);
Work Experience in the Region and Command of its Language:
5. confirmed experience in provision of services of a similar nature to governmental and non-governmental organizations, national ministries of Ukraine and / or other countries;
6. confirmed experience in provision of services of a similar nature to international organizations, agencies for international development, international donor organizations and / or project implementers financed by such organizations.
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below from 11:00AM to 04:00PM.
Expressions of interest must be delivered to the address below by 25 July 2008.
Address for submitting applications:
The Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine,
Education Development Programs Directorate
Attn: Dr. Alexander Mayevsky, IT Consultant
Ukraine, Kyiv, 01032, 27a, Shevchenko blvd.,
Tel./Fax : +38 (044) 288 04 37, Cellular: +38 (067) 232 34 18
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org and PEAQE@mon.gov.ua